Employment Opportunities – Museum Associate (part-time)
MUSEUM ASSOCIATE (PART-TIME) | MUSEUM OF FINE ARTS, ST. PETERSBURG
Founded in 1964 and located along the beautiful downtown waterfront of St. Petersburg, Florida, the Museum of Fine Arts, St. Petersburg (MFA) is a collecting museum annually serving more than 120,000 residents and visitors to the Tampa Bay area. The MFA is proud to present the largest comprehensive art collection in the state of Florida, spanning 5,000 years of civilization in about 20,000 objects from antiquity to today. Highlights include masterpieces from Vigée Lebrun, Corot, Monet, Morisot, Lafarge, Inness, Tiffany, O’Keeffe, De Kooning, Rauschenberg, Wiley, and others; a sculpture garden; important holdings of ancient, African, and Mesoamerican art; and one of the largest and most respected photography collections in the Southeastern United States.
In a growing city with multiple museums and a thriving cultural life, the MFA provides the broad context into which all the other local arts organizations fit. The MFA presents a wide variety of art experiences across the spectrum of time and culture, from expansive blockbusters to provocative contemporary exhibitions to more focused shows illuminating the depth and beauty of the museum’s growing collection. With 17,000 square feet in collections galleries—which were recently renovated and reinstalled—and 7700 square feet for temporary exhibitions, the MFA brings art to life as no other museum in the Tampa Bay area can. In addition to its robust exhibition program, the MFA engages its community through exciting public programs and events, and serves our students through youth programs and a partnership with the Pinellas County School System. About 6,000 public school students attend the MFA each year as part of their 6th grade social studies curriculum.
Position: Museum Associate
Reports to: Visitor Services Manager
Department: Visitor Services
Job Code: Part-time / On-site
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
The Museum of Fine Arts, St. Petersburg (MFA) seeks a part-time (up to 24 hours per week) Museum Associate who will provide courteous and outstanding service daily to Museum visitors. This individual will take responsibility for selling tickets and memberships, keeping the exhibition galleries secure, providing information on current and upcoming exhibitions and programs, and engaging with the public to provide a safe and memorable experience for all. Museum Associates are responsible for completing the day to day, frontline requirements of the MFA in an efficient, professional manner and will report to the Manager of Visitor Services.
• MFA visitor hours are 10am-5pm Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday, Saturday, and Sunday and 10am-8pm on Thursday. The MFA is closed for visitors on Mondays.
• Due to the nature of this position, weekend and evening work will be required
• This position requires all hours to be fulfilled onsite
ESSENTIal duties and responsibilities
• Facilitates daily ticket sales for admission to rotating exhibitions as well as membership sales
• Greets and helps Museum visitors with utmost courtesy and respect, explains admissions policy to visitors
• Monitors and controls the flow of visitors into Museum spaces at entry and exit points. Reports any issues with visitor flow to Supervisors
• Keeps attendance records by using the Museum’s database management system (Altru)
• Collects admission fees, verify membership status, and answers questions regarding the
Museum’s collections, exhibitions, and events
• Responsible for the promotion and sales of Museum memberships, support groups, and other ticketed programs
• Fulfils end of shift closing procedures and prepares appropriate documents
• Collects data from visitors using a variety of methods, including asking questions and facilitating on-site survey technology
• Performs other duties as may be required
qualifications, skills and abilities required
Education/ Experience Required
• High school diploma or equivalent
• A minimum of two years customer service experience required. Experience in Visitor Services at cultural institutions or in the tourism industry preferred
Skills and Abilities Required
• Must possess excellent customer service skills
• Must be a self-confident public speaker, comfortable working with groups of all ages and backgrounds
• Must be responsible, flexible, punctual, and able to maintain a positive attitude
• Satisfactory completion of background check required
• Must always possess a positive attitude
• Proficiency in cash handling
• Must be able to work any shift including weekends, nights, and holidays; and/or work extended hours if required
• Must be willing to work outdoors when needed
• Ability to handle sensitive information and maintain confidentiality and decorum
• Ability to work in non-profit environment
• Ability to effectively communicate relationships with staff, volunteers, and members of the public; exercise tact and diplomacy at all times; demonstrate an understanding of protocol and sensitivity to cultural diversity issues; nurture a positive working environment
• Ability to operate a computer for customer purchases
• Able to stand for an extended period of time (up to 6 hours) on a daily basis
• Must be able to remain in a stationary position for extended periods of time operating a computer and other offices productivity devices such as a telephone or scanner
• Must be able to adapt to high pace environments occasionally moving/lifting light weight equipment and other work-related objects up to 25lbs
• May have to work late nights, weekends and in outdoor weather
• All current MFA St. Petersburg employees are vaccinated against Covid-19. Applicants are strongly encouraged to be vaccinated for the health and safety of our community
• Able to safely and successfully perform the essential job functions consistent with ADA and other federal, state, and local standards, including meeting qualitative and/or quantitative productivity standards
• Able to maintain regular, punctual attendance consistent with ADA and other federal, state, and local standards
This job description indicates in general terms, the type and level of work performed, as well as the typical responsibilities of this position. Management reserves the rights to modify, change, add or rescind the work assignments of different positions and to make reasonable accommodations so that qualified employees can perform the essential functions of the job. Nothing in this position description changes the at-will employment relationship between Museum of Fine Arts and its employees.
Please address resume and letter of interest to HR@MFAstpete.org with Museum Associate in the subject line or mail to the following address:
Museum of Fine Arts
255 Beach Drive N.E.
St. Petersburg, FL 33701-3498
No phone calls please
To download the Museum Associate PDF document please click here.
View all job opportunities at the Museum Of Fine Arts.