Virtual Book Club: The Night Watchman by Louise Erdrich
In 2020, the monthly Book Club with the MFA discussions are centered on topical issues and themes universal to all: empowerment, artistic and creative excellence, and the push for equality for all. For October, we are reading The Night Watchman by Louise Erdrich, and will join together on Zoom to explore the book, its characters, themes and more! This online event is free, but registration is required. Register by clicking here.
Based on the extraordinary life of National Book Award-winning author Louise Erdrich’s grandfather who worked as a night watchman and carried the fight against Native dispossession from rural North Dakota all the way to Washington, D.C., this powerful novel explores themes of love and death with lightness and gravity.
Erdrich was born in Little Falls, Minnesota in 1954. As the daughter of a Chippewa Indian mother and a German-American father, Erdrich explores Native-American themes in her works, with major characters representing both sides of her heritage. In an award-winning series of related novels and short stories, Erdrich has visited and re-visited the North Dakota lands where her ancestors met and mingled, representing Chippewa experience in the Anglo-American literary tradition.
The Museum of Fine Arts, St. Petersburg is a nonprofit organization that fosters a vibrant community through education and engagement. During our temporary closure, so many of you asked how you can help your Museum. Even though we have reopened, the impact of the months of closure is great. Here are a few ways you can support the MFA today:
- Become a member or gift a membership
- Renew your membership
- Purchase an admission ticket to visit the Museum’s Collection and special exhibitions
- Make a charitable gift of any size so that we can continue arts education and conservation while we were temporarily closed and when we reopen
- Shop at our award-winning store online
- Shop online with Amazon Smile (choose Museum of Fine Arts Of St Petersburg Florida Inc, and a percent of your purchases will be donated to the MFA)