Coffee Talks with Nan Colton: Inge Morath, Finding Your Voice
Inge Morath, Finding Your Voice
The renowned Austrian-born photographer and word-smith began her artistic journey with a career in translation and journalism. Before her gift in photography was fully realized, Morath also worked for Heute as the magazine’s Austrian editor, teaming up with photographer Ernst Haas to write articles to accompany his photographs. A sample of Morath and Haas’ collaborative work found its way to Robert Capa, who invited the pair to Paris to join the burgeoning Magnum Photos agency in 1949. Morath began working as an editor and researcher for Magnum, but only a couple of years later moved to London, utterly enthralled with photography. She took on an apprenticeship with Simon Guttman, the editor of Picture Post, and began to sell her photographs under the name “Egni Tharom” before moving back to Paris to work at Magnum Photos as a photojournalist. Morath’s work at Magnum also brought her into close contact with Henri Cartier-Bresson, whom she learned from exponentially.
This performance will take place live in the Marly room at the MFA. To ensure the health and safety of our visitors and staff, face masks are recommended while inside the museum at all times.
We’re delighted to announce that coffee is back for Coffee Talks along with post-Coffee Talk docent tours.
- 10 am – 10:30 am Refreshments service begins in the Membership Garden
- 10:30 am – 11 am Coffee Talk presentation
- 11 am Q&A
- Immediately after Q&A ends – Docent Tour: meet in the Great Hall
FREE for MFA members; Not-yet members are $20 for adults and $15 for seniors.
Please note: Due to the uncertainties related to COVID-19, this event is subject to change.
Made Possible By:
The Museum of Fine Arts, St. Petersburg is a nonprofit organization that fosters a vibrant community through education, engagement, and public service. Your participation in this event helps to support the museum, our exhibitions, and programs. Here are a few ways you can support the MFA today:
- Become a member or gift a membership
- Renew your membership
- Purchase an admission ticket to visit the museum’s collection and special exhibitions
- Make a charitable gift of any size so we can continue to present world-class exhibitions and engaging programs for the diverse cultures and communities we serve
- Shop at our award-winning store online
- Shop online with Amazon Smile (choose Museum of Fine Arts Of St Petersburg Florida Inc, and a percentage of your purchases will be donated to the MFA)