Coffee Talks with Nan Colton: Julia Margaret Cameron – In Focus
Connect with the arts through monthly performances that give voice and embodiment to the two-dimensional. Nan Colton invites us to meet an artist or historical figure in a 30-minute presentation filmed live from the MFA, and presented via Zoom. Grab a cup of coffee and a morning snack, and enjoy from home!
This month’s program is entitled: Julia Margaret Cameron – In Focus
One of the greatest portraitists in the history of photography, Julia Margaret Cameron (1815–1879) blended an unorthodox technique, a deeply spiritual sensibility, and a Pre-Raphaelite-inflected aesthetic to create a gallery of vivid portraits and a mirror of the Victorian soul. Cameron took up the practice at the relatively late age of 48, after her daughter gifted her a camera. Her photography career was short but productive; she made around 900 photographs over a 12-year period, and reflects upon them, in this performance, as she ponders a return to India.
Made Possible By:
FREE for MFA members; Not-yet members are $20 for adults and $15 f0r seniors.
The Museum of Fine Arts, St. Petersburg is a nonprofit organization that fosters a vibrant community through education, engagement, and public service. Your participation in this event helps to support the museum, our exhibitions, and programs. Here are a few ways you can support the MFA today:
- Become a member or gift a membership
- Renew your membership
- Purchase an admission ticket to visit the museum’s collection and special exhibitions
- Make a charitable gift of any size so we can continue to present world-class exhibitions and engaging programs for the diverse cultures and communities we serve
- Shop at our award-winning store online
- Shop online with Amazon Smile (choose Museum of Fine Arts Of St Petersburg Florida Inc, and a percentage of your purchases will be donated to the MFA)