From Chaos to Order with Dr. Michael Bennett and Dr. Sol Rabin
Join us for a fascinating conversation between Senior Curator of Early Western Art Michael Bennett Ph.,D. and the collector Sol Rabin, Ph.D. to discuss the special exhibition, From Chaos to Order: Greek Geometric Art from the Sol Rabin Collection, now on view at the Museum of Fine Arts, St. Petersburg. Dr. Rabin has been collecting in this area for over 30 years, and the vast majority of the works in his collection have never been on public display. He has served on the faculty of the University of Southern California and UCLA Graduate Schools of Management, and is a graduate of Reed College (BA), Harvard University (MCP), and the University of Pennsylvania (Ph.D.). He is currently chair of the Ancient Art Collections Committee of the Harvard University Art Museums, and is the former chair of the J. Paul Getty Museum Villa Council.
The Rabin collection opens new windows into this formative period of Greek art history, revealing what beauty (Greek: kallos) meant to Greeks of the Geometric period (c. 900-700 B.C.). Chaos to Order is on view from November 7, 2020 to April 4, 2021. A fully-illustrated catalogue, written by Dr. Bennett, accompanies the exhibition.
FREE for MFA Members; Not-yet members $20.
The Museum of Fine Arts, St. Petersburg is a nonprofit organization that fosters a vibrant community through education, engagement, and public service. Your participation in this event helps to support the Museum, our exhibitions, and programs. Even though we have reopened, the impact of the months of closure is great. Here are a few ways you can support the MFA today:
- Become a member or gift a membership
- Renew your membership
- Purchase an admission ticket to visit the museum’s collection and special exhibitions
- Make a charitable gift of any size so we can continue to present world-class exhibitions and engaging programs for the diverse cultures and communities we serve
- Shop at our award-winning store online
- Shop online with Amazon Smile (choose Museum of Fine Arts Of St Petersburg Florida Inc, and a percentage of your purchases will be donated to the MFA)