The Museum of Fine Arts offers a wide range of career opportunities. This page features open positions as they become available.
Please be advised that due to the high volume of applicants, we are only able to contact those candidates whose skills and background best fit the needs of the open positions. The Museum of Fine Arts is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Posted June 24, 2016
Museum of Fine Arts, St. Petersburg, FL (MFA) seeks an experienced Preparator to work in all aspects of art-handling and exhibition preparation at the Museum of Fine Arts, St Petersburg, Florida. He or she will work with Museum’s Senior Preparator to produce and install upcoming exhibitions and rotate works of art in the collection galleries as needed. He or she will also help to safely house and document the collection along with the Museum’s Curatorial Administrator, Registrar, Senior Preparator, and other members of the Curatorial Department. In addition, the position provides back up to the Senior Preparator in exhibition lighting, packing and shipping, preparation of artworks for exhibition and design and fabrication of mounts and exhibition furniture, and warehouse management.
- Assists in installing the museum’s exhibitions. Such exhibitions include those from the permanent collection and periodic temporary exhibitions organized outside the Museum.
- Works with Curatorial staff in packing and shipping preparation.
- Assists the Senior Preparator with exhibition lighting.
- Provides backup to the Senior Preparator for matting and framing
- Assists in the fabrication of exhibition furniture and mounts.
- Assists in warehousing of exhibition furniture, artwork crates etc.
- Other duties as required.
- Bachelor’s degree in art or related field, with a preference in studio art (preferred).
- Knowledge of and experience in safe art handling practices (essential).
- Packing/crating of artwork (essential).
- Experience in installation of all types of art, including electronic media (essential).
- Ability to lift and carry heavy objects up to 50 lbs (required).
- Woodworking-cabinetry (strongly preferred).
- Museum lighting (preferred).
- Framing/mat cutting (preferred).
- Driver’s license and ability to drive moving vans/box trucks (preferred).
- Other fabrication capabilities: building walls, welding etc. (optional).
HOW TO APPLY
Submit your cover letter (including salary history and which position
you’re applying for), and resume to:
The Museum of Fine Arts, St. Petersburg
Attention: Human Resources
255 Beach Drive, NE
St. Petersburg, FL 33701-3498