The Museum of Fine Arts offers a wide range of career opportunities. This page features open positions as they become available.
The MFA provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, MFA complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Please be advised that due to the high volume of applicants, we are only able to contact those candidates whose skills and background best fit the needs of the open positions. The Museum of Fine Arts is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Posted March 23, 2017
The Museum of Fine Arts, St. Petersburg, FL, (MFA) seeks a Museum Associate. This is a non-exempt, part-time position.
- Able to work weekends, evenings, and maintain flexible hours.
- Provide courteous service to customers in the Museum Store.
- Greet an help Museum visitors with the utmost courtesy and respect, explain admissions policy to visitors, collect admission fees, verify membership status, and answer visitor questions.
- Responsible for on-going promotion and sales of Museum and Support Organizations membership.
- Receives, unpacks, and shelves incoming merchandise. Matches merchandise received to invoices, checks for damages and identifies discrepancies using a computerized inventory control system. Prepares merchandise for sale in the Museum Store. This includes, but is not limited to, packaging and labeling merchandise.
- Pulls merchandise for store restocking and packages and prepares merchandise for shipping.
- Restocks Museum Store inventory and operates computerized POS system to answer customer queries and to sell merchandise.
- Maintains appearance of displays and organization of book sections with an emphasis on cleanliness and attention to detail. Fulfill end of shift closing procedures and prepare appropriate documents.
- Collect admission fees, verify membership status, and answer questions regarding the Museum’s collections, exhibitions, events and facilities.
- Assists patrons with membership application forms. Fulfills end of shift closing procedures and prepares appropriate documents.
- Able to stand for extended periods of time (up to 6 hours) on a daily basis.
- Able to bend, crouch, stoop, reach and push museum merchandise frequently.
- Able to lift and carry up to 30 lbs.
- Able to ascend or descend ladders to restock or move merchandise on shelves.
- Able to operate a computer for customer purchases.
- Able to frequently communicate with guests and co-workers about Museum events and exhibits. Must be able to exchange accurate information in these situations.
- Able to frequently communicate with guests and co-workers about Museum merchandise.
- Able to safely and successfully perform the essential job functions consistent with the ADA, FMLA and other federal, state and local standards, including meeting qualitative and/or quantitative productivity standards.
Education and Experience
- High school education required.
- At least 2 years in a retail operation, preferably a museum or specialty bookstore, or some combination of experience sufficient to develop sales, inventory control and cash management skills.
- Able to operate a computer cash register.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including ability to effectively communicate with internal and external customers.
- Excellent computer proficiency
- Must be able to work under pressure and meet deadlines while maintaining a positive attitude and providing exemplary customer service.
- Able to work independently and to carry out assignments to completion within parameters of instruction given, prescribed routines, and standard accepted practices.
Please submit your CV and a cover letter via email to:
Or mail to:
Museum of Fine Arts
255 Beach Drive N.E.
St. Petersburg, FL 33701-3498