CANCELED Process is Product with Open/Space Collective
Process is Product is a multi-tiered creative project involving 4 dancers/performance artists from across a diverse spectrum of age, race, gender, and (dis) abilities, who will work together, improvising and thinking about improvisation in relation to performance in a museum setting. This project takes its inspiration from the ballet Jeux d’Enfants (Children’s games), with Joan Miro’s contributing design work to the ballet on view in the MFA’s exhibition Art of the Stage: Picasso to Hockney. Come see the art, and watch the inspired performance!
The artists will re-imagine children’s games by taking up residency in the MFA on 4 “open process” workshop days to execute predetermined improvisational practices, utilizing various public spaces in the museum. By observing how these improvisational practices gently engage with museum visitors and noting any persuasive, “game–like” responses, the creative team will develop movement material to be incorporated into future “open process” events. The outcomes will culminate in a final performance on a 5th date. The “open process” practices will sometimes look like play, and other times resemble problem solving.
From Open/Space Collective: As dance practitioners, working with the theme of ‘games’ we aim to better understand the following questions:
- What actually happens in an encounter between two bodies?
- How to work with someone who is different than you?
- How to negotiate with two different desires, so that nobody loses?
- How to create a space where everyone gets what they want? Is that possible?
- How do dance practices mirror society?
- Are we (dancers, non-dancers, patrons) exclusive or inclusive?
- What kind of material do we carry from our art practices into our lives?
Performing Artists/Creative Makers:
Helen French, Erik Wagner, Fernando Chonqui, Amber DiPietra, Noa Spector-Flock
Process is Product Timeline (come for one or all, each will be different!)
- Process Workshop – Thursday, February 6, 6:00-8:00 pm
- Process Workshop – February 20, 5:00-7:00 pm
- Process Workshop – April 16, 5:00-7:00 pm
- Process Workshop – April 30, 6:00-8:00 pm
- Final Performance – Saturday, May 2, 2:00 pm with Q & A
Free with museum admission, $10 on Thursdays after 5 pm
Want to enjoy more interesting talks and events during this special exhibition? Check out our full schedule here! MFA Members enjoy free admission for 12 months, early access to special exhibitions, discounts at our Store and Café, reciprocal benefits to hundreds of museum across the country, and more.